The Recovery feature is used to recover the OS back to the factory default settings in case of a fatal OS error or a critical application failure. This article explains how to complete a successful reset to factory defaults for Touch devices.
This guide can be applied in the following scenario(s):
- When signs of Operating System (OS) corruption are detected. Here are some examples of a possible OS corruption:
- Windows only loading in safe mode
- A lack of default drivers
- An "Insert boot media" error message
(This could be caused by a hardware defect. However, there are also scenarios where this error occurs due to an incorrect software configuration, such as an incorrect parameter in the device's BIOS.)
- A "Can't run application from Loader.exe" error when trying to run the application.
- Any other reason that makes the system boot slowly or less effectively (Slowness or frequent freezing might be considered as OS corruption.)
- When the device is somehow locked up (Windows or Mobilogy software) by password and you forgot the password.
- Having access to the Touch's Hardware
- Before starting the recovery process, create a backup of your device logs for future root cause analysis.
If you encounter errors, such as the keyboard not being displayed, you may use a regular USB keyboard and connect it through the USB source port.
To recover your Touch 2 device, follow these steps:
- Press and hold the Power button (located on the rear panel of the device) for 2 seconds, or until the system restarts.
You may also power off your unit from the touch screen:
- Select the Windows icon on the bottom left side.
- Select Power.
- Select Shut Down.
- Turn on the unit by holding the Power Button down for about 1-2 seconds.
You will hear three consecutive beeps.
- Immediately after hearing the three beeps, hold the recovery button (located on the left side of the rear panel, opposite to the power button) until you see the Booting in secure mode message.
Do not hold the power button and the recovery button simultaneously.
- If you do not see the Booting in secure mode message, repeat steps 1-4.
- Wait until the recovery process is completed.
You will see several black and blue screen messages. The process may take up to 20 minutes. Towards the end of the process, you should hear a few sets of the three beeps as the unit restarts.During the recovery, you may encounter failed messages. Do not interrupt the process. Just wait until the recovery process finishes.
Recovery is now completed and you have to download the latest version of the software, install it in your system and proceed with the installation of the License. Otherwise your system will not work properly even though you recovered it.
To recover your Touch 1 device, please follow these steps:
- Power on the unit.
- During the startup (on the black window mode), press the UP arrow key multiple times (the navigation key buttons are on the right side of the device) to enter recovery mode.
- Once one of the following Recovery mode screens appears, select the Restore option to initiate the recovery process.
The system restores to the factory state and reboots automatically once completed.
- During the restore process, if the HDD LED () does not blink, or there is no progress for an extended period, press the OK button once.
- Please wait patiently until the recovery is completed.
Do not attempt to forcibly shut down the unit while system recovery is in process.The process may take up to 40 minutes.
- Once the system restarts and Windows boots up again normally, log in as an Administrator.
Recovery is now completed and you have to Update your device to the latest version, and proceed with the installation of the License. Otherwise, your system will not work properly even though you recovered it.
Once the process starts, you will see a screen like this one:
Pay attention to the remaining time (red square) to understand how long the process will take to finish. Once you finish the Recovery process, the device will restart, as shown in the picture:
(see the icon that confirms that Windows is starting) Windows 10 will start with a brand new factory version: